Smarter accounting

HMRC new bank account

20 June 2016, Advocates, Artists, Barristers, Charities, Companies, Creative Industries, Employer, Musicians, Sole Traders

HMRC new bank details

Most people will pay their tax electronically either through their payroll, direct debit or by bank transfer.  Tax payments made from overseas now go to the HMRC new bank details.

Bank accounts table for overseas payments

Tax TypeIBANBICAccount Name
SA and CT Shipley, ATED and SDLTGB03BARC20114783977692BARCGB22HMRC Shipley
SA and CT Cumbernauld, PAYEGB62BARC20114770297690BARCGB22HMRC Cumbernauld
Inheritance TaxGB66BARC20114763495590BARCGB22HMRC Inheritance Tax

Some payments need you to enter the recipient address.  This is the payee’s address, not the branch address.  HMRC has included the Barclay’s branch address on the website, but not its own address.  The address to use for the HMRC new bank is:

Alexander House, 21 Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-Sea, Essex SS99 1AA

Check the HMRC webpage

It is recommended to check the HMRC website each time you set up a new payment.  Don’t forget that everyone uses the same bank account so it is really important to include the correct reference so your payment can be matched to your account.

What payment reference to use?

Self Assessment (SA)

You’ll need to use your 11-character payment reference. This is your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) followed by the letter ‘K’.


You’ll need your 9-digit VAT registration number.


You’ll need to use your 13-character Accounts Office reference number as the payment reference. You can find this on the letter HMRC sent you when you first registered as an employer.  Your Accounts Office reference is also stored in your payroll software.

Corporation Tax (CT)

Use your 17-character Corporation Tax payslip reference for the accounting period you’re paying.

You’ll find the payslip reference:

  • on the payslip that HMRC sent to you after you submitted your return
  • through your company’s HMRC online account – choose ‘View account’ then ‘Accounting period’

Inheritance Tax (IHT)

You’ll need to get an Inheritance Tax reference number from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) at least 3 weeks before you make a payment.

You can apply for one:

Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT)

You’ll need your 11-character Unique Transaction Reference Number (UTRN). You’ll find this on your paper return or on your electronic SDLT5 certificate. It is recommended that you make separate payments for each unique UTRN.

Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED)

HMRC will send you a reference number by letter or email, within 10 days of receiving your ATED return or 15 days of receiving your ATED-related Capital Gains Tax return or summary.

The ATED reference number is made up of 14 or 15 characters, starting with an ‘X’.

The ATED-related Capital Gains Tax reference number is made up of 14 characters, also starting with an ‘X’.

How Alterledger can help

Please get in touch with on the contact form at the bottom of this page to see how we can help you get on with your business.  For more articles like this, sign up to our social media channels below.

Click on the following links for more information on VAT or PAYE

Website by Haiwyre